Ever since I heard about Upper Yough, I haven’t heard anything bad about it (except when people get hurt, of course). Everyone is always talking about how super fun the upper is. I have dream about paddling it for 4 years now and today I finally completed my dream.
The drive to the put-in was a bit longer than I thought and it made me a bit anxious but excited. I started imaging how narrow and fast the creek was—lots of boofs, technical turns, slides and drops…
The weather was great, the air fresh and my blood burning hot. After the first 2-mile flat water section, the river started to pick up the speed. There were so many rocks sticking out here and there that I needed to make turns or boofs. We went through a few 4-ft water drops in a roll which required boof, but with a playboat, it was challenging to make such move. On one of the drops where I had to paddle out to the very right of the rapid to catch the rock as a boofing platform, I messed it up and got caught on the stern which immediately flipped me over and worked me good. The river was definitely fast though. The water was low that day. When it gets a foot higher, it would be a lot more challenging but fun.
Upper Yough was a fun river. The day was great and I was very pleased.| Upper Yough beginning flat section |
Part of Upper Yough run
No comments:
Post a Comment